Let's Learn About Our Favorite Princess!
Frozen." There's no question that audience members respond to them and have made them into the most popular Disney princesses in years.
|Broadway actress Idina Menzel voices and sings Elsa, including "Let It Go."|
However, even the most ardent fan of "Frozen" may not know all that there is to know about Anna's big sister. Here are nine facts about Elsa and how she relates to the other Disney princesses that you may not know.
2. The character is very loosely based on the titular character in Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale "The Snow Queen." While The Snow Queen was completely evil and the main character of the original tale, that is not the case in "Frozen." Officially, Elsa is not the antagonist but rather what is known as a deuteragonist. That's the second most important character in a story. In "Frozen," Anna gets the most attention and is the protagonist or central character. While Elsa may be the most exciting character, she is not the one who goes searching for her sister, that is Anna.
|Princess Grace of Monaco.|
4. Elsa's look completely changed during the making of "Frozen." Originally, she was going to have dark hair before becoming The Snow Queen, to give her a punk look. The hair would have been short and fierce. Ultimately, they decided that was the wrong look for Elsa.
|Elsa and Anna at the Walt Disney World Christmas Parade in 2013.|
6. The Technical Directors at Disney had to create entirely new software to accurately show Elsa's famous braid. It's not nearly as simple as they made it look, and since it is her signature hairdo (like Merida's in "Brave"), it had to be just right.
8. While it may seem as though many Disney Princesses have special powers, that is not the case. In fact, Elsa is only the second Disney princess to have special powers: Rapunzel was the first.
9. Elsa is only the second Princess in the Disney universe to not have any love interest. Even Anna has love! That may be because Elsa has to lock herself away in her own castle and nobody comes to visit. How sad! In fact, she is only the second princess to not find love, the first being Merida. Maybe she will find someone in the sequel? Here's hoping!