"The Little Mermaid" in Disney Second Screen Live
Exclusively in theaters, starting September 13, 2013!
Upon the re-release of "The Little Mermaid," Disney Second Screen Live invites you to:
- Play Games!
No, that's not a joke. They have something called "Second Screen Live" which apparently makes the theater-going experience interactive. It would be like watching it on your home pc, with Easter Eggs and such, but... in a theater.
Some folks may like that. Personally, it sounds annoying in some ways, but perhaps it will be a good way for kids to have fun, like having a food fight in the cafeteria or something.
You need to download an app in advance, so don't just show up with your Ipad without doing that here.
Only a limited number of theaters will support the new process, mainly in New York and California, so check here to see if your theater does.
As of this writing, the theaters involved are:
- AMC Burbank 16 – Burbank, CA
- Arclight Beach Cities – El Segundo, CA
- AMC Bay Street 16 – Emeryville, CA
- Century Huntington Beach and XD – Huntington Beach, CA
- Arclight Sherman Oaks – Sherman Oaks, CA
- Muvico Thousand Oaks 14 – Thousand Oaks, CA
- Carmike 15 – Columbus, GA
- AMC Town Center 20 – Leawood, KS
- AMC Garden State 16 – Paramus, NJ
- Farmingdale Multiplex Cinemas – Farmingdale, NY
- AMC Empire 25 – New York, NY
- City Center 15: Cinema de Lux – White Plains, NY
- Carmike Wynnsong 16 – Knoxville, TN
This list may or may not be accurate as of September 13, 2013, but it is the most recent list we could find.
Below is the re-release trailer, without the Second Screen Live information:
There has been all sorts of confusion about whether this re-release was going to happen. Check your theater to see if it showing there beginning on September 13, 2013. The Disney site showing that release date is still up, and they just released the Second Screen Live trailer above so, as far as we can tell, the release remains a go.