Below is the shortlist for the 2016 Oscar for Best Animated Short Film.
The 88th Academy Awards nominations will be announced on January 14, 2016, and the 88th Oscars will take place on February 28, 2016. The process of selecting films is already in motion. A second round of voting commences on 30 December 2015, and the results will be announced on 14 January with other nominees.
While there is no clear favorite, any entry by Pixar such as "Sanjay's Super Team" is likely to get serious consideration. There are two National Film Board of Canada entries, and it always does well, too.
Five films will make the next cut.
The shortlisted animated short films:
- “Carface (Autos Portraits),” Claude Cloutier, director (National Film Board of Canada)
- “If I Was God…,” Cordell Barker, director (National Film Board of Canada)
- “Love in the Time of March Madness,” Melissa Johnson and Robertino Zambrano, directors (High Hip Productions and KAPWA Studioworks)
- “My Home,” Phuong Mai Nguyen, director (Papy3D Productions)
- “An Object at Rest,” Seth Boyden, director (California Institute of the Arts)
- “Prologue,” Richard Williams, director, and Imogen Sutton, producer (Animation Masterclass)
- “Sanjay’s Super Team,” Sanjay Patel, director, and Nicole Grindle, producer (Pixar Animation Studios)
- “We Can’t Live without Cosmos,” Konstantin Bronzit, director (Melnitsa Animation Studio)
Disney is by far the leader in wins in the category, and the company has won two of the last three years, with “Paperman” in 2013 and “Feast” earlier this year. It does not have an entry in the race this year for the first time in several years.